Thursday, June 16, 2016

Hunka hunka burnin' ..... plastic?

Y'all. Raising boys. What. the. hell.

It's been a long couple of weeks, what with CALF (awesome and exhausting...doing it solo with three kids is no joke) and Austin traveling, and it being summer and Eden being a little sick (teething sucks for everyone) and having a regular cardio appointment today....those were the "normal" things. Then there was Austin managing to SHATTER a pyrex dish in the sink and now the garbage disposal doesn't work. Then Elijah got mad and kicked his foot through a window (he's fine, the window was not). Then today with the appointment just exhausted me and I laid down to take a little nap, the boys telling me they'd be ok for an hour. (I don't deep sleep, they still come and go).

Waking up to the smell of burning plastic and little boys shouting "fire! fire!" is never a good thing. Ever.

The best I can figure, because they sure aren't explaining it, is they wanted Easy Mac and couldn't figure out how to do it. The fourth cup they attempted lit on fire. Literally. There were flames in the microwave visible from across the room and smellable from all over the house and probably three blocks away. Plus the contents of the previous three cups were in the sink. Where the garbage disposal doesn't work.

Jesus has to like these boys for me right now.

Uncle/Big Brother John is going to come and look at it later this evening and we'll see if it's salvagable or if we need to make a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot tonight or tomorrow. We don't use the microwave every day, but we use it frequently to reheat leftovers.

But hey, at least I got the broken window fixed today! Only cost about $200! Add this cost to that (and for all the other stuff they've broken over the past couple years) and the boys are going to owe me their first paychecks out of college. No student loans, but Mom Letting Me Live fees.

As for Eden:

Her appointment was great. We were there for three and a half hours because of who knows what, a problem with the computers, over booking, whatever. We waited for over an hour for her echo, then that took a while, then we saw the doctor for about 15-20 minutes. We got home around 2 from her 11:30 appointment.

Her numbers are all good, upper 80's and lower 90's for pulse ox, her weight is good, her length is good (she's 30 inches....she might be a tall woman). She was so tired by the time they did the echo, she just laid there perfectly still for them and they got great images, so that means we don't need to schedule a sedated echo in Dallas later this year. Yay!

The main thing the doctors are keeping an eye on in her echos is the tricuspid valve. It's a valve between the top and bottom of the right side chambers of the heart. It opens and closes, allowing blood to flow from top to bottom but not bottom to top. Since Eden's pulmonary artery and aorta are switched and the right ventricle works harder than normal, this puts more strain on the triscuspid valve. If it starts to show signs of leaking or not working well, that's when we'll revisit surgery. Her tricuspid has a mild leak currently, which is to be expected, but nothing so serious that we're doing anything anytime soon.

In fact, they don't need to see us for another six months, unless Eden starts to show signs of distress.

Six months, you guys! That's awesome! I'm certainly thrilled not to have to go up there more often. She's heavy and there's several things I have to take, plus each visit costs about $3000. Our out of pocket is $3000, so we only pay for one, but still. (This is why we have her medical fund set up. Thank you to all who donated and continue to do so. It'll go towards her heart stuff, not the busted microwave, I swear.)

Austin came home from work and took the boys to VBS for the last night at Broadview (seriously an awesome VBS) and I'm at home with the girl child. I'm exhausted from the past few weeks and THERE'S STILL MORE SUMMER TO GO! We still have two trips for weddings coming up, two more VBS's, and summer activities planned in town. I'm gonna need a vacation at the end of this summer.

At the end of the day, we're all ok, the house is still standing, though it is a little smokey and smelly. We're out some money, but that's all. It could have been so much worse.

I may never nap again without confining children to cages or something. Lawdy.

First three failed attempts. 

No idea what happened here. 

Mac and cheese anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment